At the end of our first component Giselle told me she thought Shakespeare was boring. I was calm on the outside, but on the inside I was thinking, "Yikes!" Then I calmed down and decided to do something about this. My daughter couldn't leave this school year hating Shakespeare. That would not happen!
First, I evaluated the situation. The first two plays we studied were Julius Caesar and Antony and Cleopatra. These were both fascinating to me. But two tragedies probably weren't the best thing to start with, especially for a young girl.
We were on to the Italian plays next. I cut back my expectations for getting through everything. For the rest of the year our family focused more on The Merchant of Venice to represent the Italian plays, and Macbeth and Henry V to represent Great Britain.
I spent many, many hours after Christmas searching for some really exciting field trips. I was determined that the last several months would be even more engaging.
ALL ROADS LEAD TO ROME: Italian Plays
The Merchant of Venice
Othello
Romeo and Juliet
Taming of the Shrew
After the bank we all went to Suzanne's home for an Italian lunch and students' research project presentations.
Chase took rapier lessons for two months from this fellow that we met during a family trip to Oak Glen. Chase and a friend from park day took classes together. It was a good experience.
Giselle put together a farce combining bits of Shakespeare's plays, mostly Romeo and Juliet.
- 14 iambic pentameter lines in
- ABAB CDCD EFEF GG rhyme scheme in
- three-quatrain-and-couplet architecture
A fearless leader, who is all he seems
He loves me and he loves our children too.
An Eagle Scout who really loves his Mom,
But I’m the only one that he desires.
And though he’s kind, he’s also very strong.
His music is what sets my heart of fire
A missionary, handsome, tall, and wise;
Obedient in his duties from his youth
The world is right when I look in his eyes
Ambitious, humbly wheels, the sort of truth.
It started with a “Once upon a time…”
It’s ending with an “Ever After” rhyme.








No comments:
Post a Comment